Academic and Extracurricular Programs
San Marcos Elementary School, as part of the San Marcos Unified School District, follows a set curriculum outlined by the California State Content Standards for kindergarten through fifth grade. All content standards for each curricular area are outlined on the California Department of Education’s website at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also obtain a copy of the content standards from your child’s teacher.
Homework is an important part of the educational program, and will be assigned on a regular basis. Homework is assigned using the following district guidelines:
Grades 1-3 15-20 mins 3-4 days a week Grades 4-5 30-45 mins. 3-4 days a week
The Child’s responsibility:
- Understand and know how to do the assignment.
- Have the necessary materials.
- Follow study techniques outlined by the teacher.
- Strive for the best quality of work of which s/he is capable.
- Complete and return assignments on time.
The Parent’s responsibility:
- Provide the child with a quiet place and adequate time to do homework.
- Encourage the child to do his best work.
- Encourage the use of good study habits and completion of assignments.
- Remind the child to bring all materials back to school each day.
Report cards are sent home at parent conferences in November, March and the end of the school year. Report cards in Grades K-3 are non-graded; letter grades are assigned in Grades 4-5.