Mustang E-Blast, Week of September 20th
Please find enclosed some important information from Richland:
- September is Attendance Awareness Month! Did you know that every absences for any reason (excused or unexcused) costs our school $40 per day. With an average of 30 absences per day, it costs our school $1200 per day. That is a lot of money that our PTO needs to fundraise to replace! And…When kids aren’t here, they can’t learn! Mustangs Make Every Day Count!
- Pennies For Texas & Florida - A Richland Elementary charity event to benefit hurricane Harvey and Irma survivors. We are collecting coins to donate to the victims of both Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma which have affected the areas in and around Houston and most of Florida. Starting on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 – Wednesday, October 4, 2017 we will be collecting your spare change in your classroom. Thank you for your participation!
- The next Richland Round Up Flag Salute is Friday, September 22nd! See you there!
- Did you miss Picture Day? Make ups are Monday, September 25th
- Our First Movie Wednesday is coming! Next, Wednesday September 27th is our first Movie Dat. $10 gets you snacks and a movie. Proceeds help support our PTO funded program STEAM! Information can be found in your child’s Wednesday envelope.
- Student Council Speeches are on Friday, September 29th. We love our Richland leadership!
- The next ELAC (English Language Advisory Committee) meeting is Monday, October 2nd at 6 p.m. in Room 20. Halloween Carnival is on the agenda!
- School Site Council is looking for a few good parents! Our next meeting is Tuesday, October 10th at 3:30 p.m. in Room 20. Flyers went home in today’s Wednesday envelopes, please consider joining this important group of parents! Only 4 meeting per year!
- Connect to Compete: Every fall SMUSD partners with Computers 2 SD Kids and Cox Communications to host an event at the district office providing low-cost, refurbished computers to our low-income families. Cox representatives also help eligible families to sign up for $10/month internet service.
DATE OF EVENT: Saturday, October 21, 2017
TIME OF EVENT: 10am - 11:30am
LOCATION: SMUSD District Office, 255 Pico Ave, San Marcos, CA
News for our PTO, FOR Club:
- Our next FOR Club (PTO) Meeting is Tuesday, October 17th at 6 p.m. in the cafeteria. Parents have some important Carnival planning to do! Come join us! It takes a village!
- Do you purchase through Amazon or Amazon Prime? If you go through Amazon Smile, Richland gets a percentage donated back! Simply go to smile.amazon.com and sign on like you always do. You will prompted to choose a school to benefit. Once this is complete, it will save for future use. Every little bit of support helps!
Ability Awareness Week
Richland's 4th annual Ability Awareness Week (AAW) will be Monday, September 25th through Friday, September 29th. It is a week for us to reflect on our motto that "It's okay to be DIFFERENTLY ABLED" and "it's okay to be DIFFERENT." We have a number of activities going on throughout the week for students to open their hearts and minds about individuals with different abilities.
We would like to request that our students dress in a spectrum of colors on Friday, September 29th, in order to represent the spectrum of abilities that we have at Richland! Each grade level will be dressed as a different color of the rainbow:
- PreK, TK, and Kindergarten: Red
- First Grade: Orange
- Second Grade: Yellow
- Third Grade: Green
- Fourth Grade: Blue
- Fifth Grade: Purple
We are looking for parent volunteers for the Ability Awareness Fair on Friday, September 29th. You can sign up by emailing Shannon Baum at email@example.com or by clicking on the following link: Ability Awareness Parent Sign Up Sheet
Collecting all plastic bottle tops! 5th grader is creating a legacy art project to beautify Richland for years to come. Please send in your:
-Gatorade, soda bottle lids
-Water bottle caps
Upcoming STEAM dates:
10/5 - TK/K
10/6 - 1st and 2nd
11/2 – TK/K
11/3 - 1st, 2nd and 4th
11/17 – 3rd and 5th
Sign up for these STEAM dates and future dates at:
Have a great week, Mustangs!
Julie Barbara, Principal