Work Permits

You may obtain a work permit through Student Services from July 1st through July 31st.  If your request is outside of these dates please access your school website for instructions.

To obtain your Work Permit:

  1. Download a "Request for Work Permit and Statement of Intent to Employ Minor" form by clicking here or pick up the form at the High School you attend (if school is in session) or at the SMUSD District Office (during summer or school breaks when the district office is open).
  2. Employer completes and signs Section 1 ("Statement of Employer").
  3. Complete Section 2 ("Statement of Parent or Guardian Regarding Minor") and obtain a signature from your parent/guardian.
  4. Email your completed Request form to your designated school site. Your work permit will be processed for you there. A 24 hour turn around may apply for the processing of work permits.

Please note: Students must be present when the work permit is issued as an original signature is required. Incomplete forms will delay processing your Work Permit. Parents may not sign for students.

Email the following for back-up documentation:

  1. Proof of age (birth certificate, medical records, driver's license, or ID card listing date of birth)
  2. Proof of school attendance (report card or school ID)
  3. Picture Identification (school ID card, driver's license, CA ID card, military ID card)

If you have any questions, please e-mail Yolanda Estrada at [email protected]


Q: If I've graduated from high school, do I need a work permit?

A: Once a minor is no longer subject to the state's compulsory education laws, he/she is not considered a minor for purposes of the state's child labor laws (labor code 1286[c]). Therefore, a high school graduate does not require a permit and may work in any occupation.

Q: If I have more than one job, do I need more than one work permit?

A: Yes, you will need a separate work permit for each job that you hold.

Q: When do work permits expire?

A: Summer work permits expire five days after the beginning of the next school year. Work permits issued during the school year, providing you remain with the same employer, expire five days after the following school year begins.

Q: Do I need to get a new work permit if I'm working now?

A: No, a new work permit is not needed for your current job. Just remember that work permits expire at the end of the school year.

Q: Can my parent/guardian bring in my Request for Work Permit and be issued a work permit?

A: No, you must bring in your Request for Work Permit after it has been completed. The work permit will require the student's signature before it may be issued. The student must be present when the work permit is issued AND bring photo ID and proof of age.

Q: Can I start working when my employer signs the Request for Work Permit?

A: No, you must have the work permit issued first before you can begin working.

Q: What ages are required to have a work permit?

A: Any student under the age of 18 who has not graduated from high school must have a work permit on file.

Q: Can I get a work permit at my high school?

A: Yes, during the school year, work permits are issued at all high schools. In the Summer, SMUSD issues the work permits.


The following restrictions and spread of hours are for regular, school year permits. Any work permits issued for summer employment are considered vacation permits.

16 and 17 year olds:

4 hours per day Monday-Thursday, 8 hours per day Friday through Sunday, with a maximum of 48 hours per week. Spread of hours - 5:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.

14 and 15 year olds:

3 hours per day Monday through Friday, 8 hours per day Saturday and Sunday, with a maximum of 18 hours per week. Spread of hours - 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

12 and 13 year olds:

May be employed only during school holidays and vacations. Employment is restricted to certain household occupations, messengers, delivery, and agriculture.