Enrollment Requirements (New Students Only)

State Education Code requires the following prior to school entry:

1. Proof of Age
: To verify your child’s age, please provide one of the following: (Education Code 48002)

  • Certified copy of birth record
  • Statement by the local registrar or a county recorder certifying the date of birth
  • Baptismal certificate
  • Passport
  • When none of the foregoing is obtainable, an affidavit of the parent, guardian, or custodian of the minor, or any other appropriate means of proving the child’s age.

2. Proof of Immunizations: California schools are required to check immunization records for all new student admissions at TK/Kindergarten through 12th grade and all students advancing to 7th grade before entry. Students entering 7th grade who had a personal beliefs exemption on file must meet the requirements for TK/K-12 and 7th grade. See Shots for Schools for more information. Parents/guardians must provide documentation of any of the following for each immunization requirement for the pupil’s age or grade as defined by the CA Immunization Requirements for TK/K - 12th Grade / Guía de Requisitos de Vacunación para Grados K-12.

  • Receipt of immunization
  • A permanent medical exemption in accordance with 17 CCR section 6051
  • A personal beliefs exemption (filed in CA prior to 2016) in accordance with Health and Safety Code section 120335; this is valid until enrollment in the next grade span, typically at TK/K or 7th grade. Please note parents or guardians are no longer allowed to submit a personal beliefs exemption to a currently-required vaccine

3. Physical Health Examination: Early and regular health check-ups can prevent, find, and treat many health problems before they become serious. That is why California has a law that says all children must have a health checkup within 18 months before first grade or up to 90 days after starting first grade. Your child must also have certain immunizations, or shots, for school. Your doctor will be able to check your child’s immunization record and see what shots are needed during the health checkup. Your doctor will complete the School Entry Health Exam Requirement form. You must return this completed form to your child's school. If you are not able to pay for this check-up, please call the County of San Diego Maternal Child and Family Health Services (MCFHS) at 619-692-8808 to find out if your child is eligible for a health check-up at no cost. MCFHS can also provide information on medical and dental insurance.

4. Dental Health Examination
: CA law requires that a student must provide proof of having received an oral health assessment by May 31st in either Kindergarten or 1st grade, whichever is your child’s first year in public school. Oral health assessments must be performed no earlier than 12 months before the date of the initial enrollment of the pupil by a licensed dentist, or other licensed or registered dental health professional operating within his or her scope of practice. If your child is unable to obtain an oral health assessment prior to registration, written proof of an appointment from a licensed dentist or registered dental health professional is required.

5. Proof of Residency
: The district shall not solicit or collect information or documents regarding the citizenship or immigration status of students or their family members for the purpose of determining residency within the district. (Education Code 234.7)

You will be required to provide two documents (one from each category below) to verify your residency in order to enroll your child in the designated school determined by the attendance area within SMUSD’s boundaries. Evidence of residency may be established by documentation showing the name and address of the parent/guardian within the district, including, but not limited to, any of the following: (Education Code 48204.1)

Category One (must be current and include address of residency and parent/guardian name):

  • Property tax payment receipt
  • Rental property contract, lease, or payment receipts
Category Two (must be current and include address of residency and parent/guardian name):
  • Utility service contract, statements, or payment receipts
  • Pay stubs
  • Voter registration
  • Correspondence from a government agency
  • Declaration of residency (Affidavit of Residence / Afidávit de Residencia) executed by the student’s parent/guardian